Teatro Goldoni of Venice


Built by the Vendramin family in 1622, the Carlo Goldoni is the oldest theater in Venice still in existence today. Born as the Teatro San Luca in 1653, it was destroyed by a violent fire but was immediately rebuilt. The subject of several restorations over the centuries, at the beginning of the 19th century it became the Apollo Theater. And, after decades of flourishing, on 26 February 1875, it was renamed the Carlo Goldoni Theatre.

All the most important Italian and some foreign teams headed Goldoni and a statistic from the 1909 season placed Venice immediately after Milan and Rome in terms of box office takings.

During the years of the Second World War, the theater remained operational but in June 1947 it was declared unusable.

The first ten years passed amid the impossibility of finding an agreement between the last owner, the lawyer Baldissera, and the Municipality of Venice, which eventually took over the building. Thirty-two years after its closure, at a cost of three and a half billion lire, the theater was reopened to the city. It was April 22, 1979.

For more than a decade the Municipality of Venice managed the theater itself, entrusting it to various directors including Giorgio Gaber. From 1992 to today, management has been entrusted to the Teatro Stabile del Veneto.



The Goldoni Theater is located in S. Marco, 4650/ B – 30124 Venice. From the railway and Piazzale Roma it can be reached either on foot, with a walk of around 25 minutes, or by vaporetto taking line 1 or line 2 (direction Rialto - Lido) and getting off at the Rialto stop.

For any information you can contact the ticket office by calling 041 2402011 or by writing to biglietteria.teatrogoldoni@teatrostabileveneto.it (see opening time).

Veduta palco Teatro Goldoni dalla platea
dettaglio palchetto Teatro Goldoni
Dettaglio rosone Teatro Goldoni
Veduta sala principale Teatro Goldoni dal palcoscenico